Onglyza, a brand-name version of Saxagliptin, is available by prescription in tablet form in different strengths. Onglyza is an oral hypoglycemic of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor class. You can save on brand name and generic Onglyza by shopping online at our Online Pharmacy.
Onglyza (Saxagliptin) 2.5mg
Onglyza (Saxagliptin) 5mg
What is Onglyza used for?
Onglyza is an oral anti-diabetic medicine that regulates insulin production in our body after meals. The orally-active ingredient Saxagliptin inhibits the action of DPP-4 (dipeptidyl peptidase-4) enzyme that destroys incretin hormone. Incretin is linked to insulin production. It reduces glucose synthesis in the liver.
The drug is sparingly soluble in water at normal temperature and highly soluble in many organic solvents.
Saxagliptin is an inhibitor that increases insulin production inside the body, triggered by high blood sugar. It is used for treating diabetic ketoacidosis and type I diabetes when the body fails to produce insulin naturally. Diabetics are likely to develop several life-threatening complications, such as blindness, stroke, heart diseases, nerve damage, kidney problems, sexual inability, etc. due to high blood sugar levels. Anti-diabetes therapy involves the use of Saxagliptin, along with a controlled diet and regular exercise to manage diabetes symptoms.
How should Onglyza medicine be used?
An Onglyza tablet is swallowed orally. Do not chew, break or crush it. Take it with water once a day, with or without food. Stop taking the medicine if you develop infection, fever or flu-like symptoms.
Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar is a common occurrence in diabetes. The symptoms include hunger, pale and dry skin, headache, dizziness, sweating, loss of concentration, and shakiness. Keep fruit juices, non-diet soda, and non-fattening candies to cope with sudden dips in the blood sugar.
In case of severe hypoglycemia, take a glucagon injection.
What if I miss the dose of Onglyza?
Do not skip a dose or take an extra dose without consulting the doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. Have it with food, or as instructed. For best results, take the medicine at the same time every day.
In the case of overdose, seek immediate medical help at 911 or 1-800-222-1222 (Poison Helpline). The symptoms of drug overdose include weakness, tremors, hypoglycemia, sweating, incoherent speech, irregular heartbeat, vomiting, seizures, nausea, unconsciousness, and rapid breathing.
What are the side effects of Onglyza ?
Onglyza may cause some unwanted effects like:
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Severe abdominal pain
- Heart failure
- Increase in weight due to sudden fluid retention (peripheral edema)
- Swollen feet, legs, and ankles
- Mood swings
- Vision problems
- Joint pain
- Allergic reactions in the skin (hives, itching, inflammation, rashes, flaking, peeling, etc.)
- Peripheral edema
- Urinary tract and respiratory tract infection
A few antifungal medications, such as Clarithromycin, Itraconazole, and Ketoconazole violently react to Onglyza. Other prescription/ non-prescription drugs that react to it include:
- HIV or AIDS medicines (Indinavir, Atazanavir, Ritonavir, etc.)
- Oral medicines for diabetes (Diabinese, Amaryl, Glucotrol, Starlix, etc.)
- Nutritional supplements, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco while undergoing anti-diabetic therapy.
- Do not take Onglyza if you have a medical history of gallstones, pancreatitis, heart failure, kidney disease, diabetic ketoacidosis, and high triglyceride levels.
- Inform your doctor if you are planning to have a surgery in the future.
- Expectant or breastfeeding mothers must consult a doctor first.
- Store the medicines in a dry place at room temperature, away from kids and pets.
Is Generic available for Onglyza?
Yes, Generic equivalent version of Onglyza, Saxagliptin is avialble in the market.
Can I buy Onglyza without prescription?
No, a valid prescription is required for this medication.
HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION: This is a summary and does NOT have all possible information about this product. This information does not assure that this product is safe, effective, or appropriate for you. This information is not individual medical advice and does not substitute for the advice of your health care professional. Always ask your health care professional for complete information about this product and your specific health needs.