Exelon (Rivastigmine) 1.5mg
Exelon (Rivastigmine) 3mg
Exelon (Rivastigmine) 4.5mg
Related Product: Exelon Patch
Exelon or Generic Rivastigmine Uses, Dosage & Side effects
Exelon is the trade name for medicine, Rivastigmine. It is a prescription medicine indicated in the treatment of dementia (confusion) associated with Parkinson's disease as well as Alzheimer's disease. This medication does not treat either of these illnesses, but it may perk up memory, attentiveness, and the capability to execute everyday activities.
How does Exelon exert its action?
Exelon, composed of active ingredient Rivastigmine, is a very effectual medicine used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease and Dementia-associated signs (memory loss and mental changes in people). Rivastigmine hydrochloride exerts its potent activity by inhibiting N-methyl-D-aspartate glutamate receptors, as a result, helps in controlling various signs attributable to Alzheimer's disease.
How to use Exelon?
Exelon is available in the form of a patch to be applied to the skin. The patch is applied to the skin type one time in a day. Avoid opening the sealed pouch until set to use. The pouch is opened and the patch is removed from the shielding liner. Avoid cutting the patch of Exelon. And use it as per the directions on clean, dry, bald regions on the back, chest or upper arm. The old patch is removed initially prior to the application of a new patch. Avoid the use of two patches of Exelon at the same time. Avoid touching your eyes while you are using the patch of Exelon. Your hands must be washed with soap and water after each use of Exelon. Remember to remove the old patch while changing your patch and fold the patch half and discard it out of the reach of pets and children. A new patch is used in a different area in order to prevent skin irritation. Avoid the use of a new patch on the same region for a minimum number of two weeks.
In case of a missed dose of Exelon:
In case you miss using a dose of this medicine, try to use it as soon it is possible, but skip out the missed dose if it is almost the time for your next dose. Avoid using two doses of Exelon at one time.
Side effects and safety profile:
Some of the side effects of Exelon patch include dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, loose stools, weakness, weight loss, skin irritation and shakiness (tremors). If any of these effects continue or get worse, speak to your physician promptly.
Possible drug interactions with Exelon include:
• NSAIDs such as Indomethacin, Naproxen, Diclofenac, Ibuprofen
• Bronchodilators, for instance, Glycopyrrolate, Ipratropium
• Opioid painkillers such as Ultram(Tramadol)
• Avoid using the patch on broken or inflamed regions of skin or regions where you have used cosmetics such as lotion or creams. Do not use Exelon patch on the regions where tight clothing may rub the patch off. Avoid taking a bath with the patch on.
• Do not expose yourself to direct heat (such as prolonged direct sunlight) while using this medication as heat may cause more medicament to be released into your body, enhancing the possibility of side effects.
• Exelon (Rivastigmine) may make you feel drowsy or sleepy. Thus it is recommended not to drive, use machinery, or perform any activity that needs attentiveness until you are sure you can perform such activities safely.