Depakote (Sodium valproate)
Depakote, a brand-name version of Sodium valproate, is available by prescription in tablet form in different strengths. Depakote is primarily used to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder and prevent migraine headaches. You can save on brand name and generic Depakote by shopping online at our Online Pharmacy.
Depakote ER 125mg
Depakote ER 250mg
Depakote ER 500mg
Depakote ER 750mg
Depakote ER 1000mg
Depakote Generic Divalproex Uses, Dosage & Side effects
Depakote is the trade name for medicine, Divalproex sodium. It is a prescription medicine used to control certain types of seizures (for example, complex partial seizures in adults and children 10 years of age and older) as well as simple and complex absence seizures, with or without other seizure types.
How does Depakote work?
Divalproex can be used alone or with other medicines to control and prevent seizures. Divalproex sodium is known as an antiepileptic or anticonvulsant medicine. Depakote works by restoring the balance of several natural substances in the brain and helps calms the brain and keeps up a steady mood.
How to take Depakote?
Take Depakote tablet by mouth with or without food only as per the directions of your doctor. The dosage of Depakote depends on your medical condition, response to treatment, as well as usage of certain interacting medicines. Only your doctor can increase or decrease the dose of this drug.
What if you miss a dose of Depakote?
In case of missed dose of Divalproex sodium, take it the moment it is possible, but skip out the missed dose if it is almost the time for your next dose. Never take two doses at one time.
Side effects that may occur most commonly may include headache, nausea, vomiting, hazy vision, dry mouth, feeling fatigued, dizziness, allergic (hypersensitivity reactions), stomach pain, diarrhea, swelling on face, back pain, sore throat, stuffy nose, yellowing of the skin, and insomnia (lack of sleep).
What are the drug interactions associated with Depakote?
Depakote must not be taken with any other medicines containing Divalproex sodium. Also, the other drugs which are known to interact with this medicine may include:
What safety measures should be taken while using Depakote?
• Patients with kidney or liver disease must not take this drug.
• Depakote may cause the occurrence of a serious or life-threatening skin rash, in particular in children and in patients who take a very high initial dose, or those who also take medicines such as Valproic acid. Divalproex sodium may result in severe hypersensitive reactions having an impact on multiple body organs (for example, liver or kidney).
• Patients with a genetic problem called urea cycle disorder must also not take this medicine.
• Do not this medicine if you are pregnant. Also, avoid breastfeeding while using this drug.
• Divalproex sodium may result in hazy vision, double vision, dizziness, or drowsiness. Avoid doing tasks that demand attention like driving until you know how this drug affects you. If these reactions turn particularly troublesome, always contact your physician.
• Patients with a history of depression, mood problems or suicidal thoughts or behavior must also avoid the use of this medicine.
• It is recommended not to drink alcohol with this drug as it may worsen the effects of this medicine.