Gleevec, a brand-name version of Imatinib, is available by prescription in tablet form in different strengths. Gleevec is an oral chemotherapy medication used to treat cancer. You can save on brand name and generic Gleevec by shopping online at our Online Pharmacy.
Gleevec (Imatinib) 100mg
Gleevec (Imatinib) 400mg
Introduction of Gleevec
Gleevec is the brand name for Imatinib mesylate. Gleevec is a small molecule kinase inhibitor which is used to treat Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Chronic Eosinophilic Leukemia, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, amongst other cancers.
Uses of Gleevec
Gleevec is used to treat various types of cancers like gastrointestinal stromal tumours, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, chronic myeloid leukemia, myelodysplatic diseases, and myeloproliferative diseases. Gleevec works by reducing the growth of cancer cells or slowing their growth or by stopping it altogether.
Side effects of Gleevec
1. Common side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, an upset stomach, headache, muscle cramps, muscle pains, joint pains, blurred vision, drowsiness, and dizziness.
Fluid retention and oedema - swelling of hands, ankles, feet, abdomen
• Congestive cardiac failure and left ventricular dysfunction
• Liver toxicity
• Gastrointestinal disorders
• Growth retardation in children & adolescents
• Renal disorders and toxicity
• Cardiac toxicity due to hypereosinophilia
• Painful urination
• Pink or bloody urine
• Muscle spasms and weakness
• Unexplained or sudden weight gain
• Loss of appetite
• Abdominal pain and swelling
• Yellowish discolouration of eyes and skin
• Unusual fatigue
3. An allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely but if you suffer from a rash, itching, swelling of the face, tongue, throat, severe dizziness or troubled breathing, then consult your physician right away.
If you experience any of the above symptoms, please contact your physician or rush to the hospital immediately.
Precautions of Gleevec:
Do not consume this drug if:
• You are allergic to Imatinib
• You have a bleeding disorder
• You have heart problems like heart failure
• You have a renal disorder
• You have a liver disorder
• You have got your thyroid gland removed
• You have suffered from an infection recently like chicken pox, flu, measles
• You are prone to oedema or swelling of the entire body
• You are pregnant
• You are planning to conceive
• You are breastfeeding
Interactions of Gleevec
Gleevec is known to interact with a lot of medicines. Do not take this medicine if you are using any of the following medicines -
• Dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers
• HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors
• St. John’s Wort
Inform your physician about your current medication before you start taking Gleevec. Grapefruit is known to increase the side effects of Gleevec. So, avoid drinking grapefruit juice while you are on this medication.
Over dosage of Gleevec
Overdose of Gleevec can result in nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, rash, erythema, oedema, fatigue, muscle spasms, swelling, abdominal pain, headache, decreased appetite, pancytopenia, thrombocytopenia. If you suffer from any of these symptoms, then report to the nearest hospital immediately. Some cases of overdose may also present with pyrexia, facial swelling, decreased neutrophil count, myalgia, increased CPK, increased bilirubin, and gastrointestinal pain.