Famvir, a brand-name version of Famciclovir, is available by prescription in tablet form in different strengths. Famvir is a guanosine analogue antiviral drug used for the treatment of various herpesvirus infections, most commonly for herpes zoster. It is a prodrug form of penciclovir with improved oral bioavailability. You can save on brand name and generic Famvir by filling prescriptions online at our Online Pharmacy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs):
Why is Famvir (Famciclovir) prescribed?
Famvir is a prescription antiviral medicine used to treat shingles, cold sores, and genital herpes caused by herpes viruses. Famvir contains the active ingredient famciclovir that inhibits the herpes viral DNA synthesis and replication. But the medication is not a cure for herpes. It is not known if the medicine can prevent the spread of herpes. The safety and efficacy of this medicine are not known in children younger than 18 years of age.
Benefits and uses of Famvir
Famvir is used for the treatment of the following herpes virus infections:
Herpes labialis or cold sores:
It is an infection of the mouth area caused by the herpes simplex virus. This highly contagious infection causes small, painful fluid-filled blisters around or inside the mouth especially on the lips, gums, or throat.
This sexually transmitted infection is caused by a highly contagious virus called the herpes simplex virus. It causes itchy and painful blisters on the genital and anal areas.
Herpes zoster (shingles):
It is caused by the reactivation of varicella-zoster virus (chickenpox virus), resulting in painful blisters and skin rash.
Famvir helps to reduce the severity and length of the infection. It also heals the blisters/sores, reduces itching, decreases new blisters formation, and relieves pain. It prevents the spread of the virus to other parts of the body and the risk of serious infections. It also minimizes the recurrent episodes of herpes.
Side Effects of Famvir
Patients taking Famvir may have common side effects, including:
- abdominal pain
- diarrhea or constipation
- nausea and vomiting
Famvir may also cause adverse side effects that require medical attention, including:
- confusion, hallucinations
- liver problems such as jaundice
- decreased or no urination
- swelling in your feet, ankles, and leg
- shortness of breath
- low platelet level
- severe allergic reactions, rash, swelling of your face, mouth, or tongue, and breathing problems.
How to take Famvir?
Famvir is available as tablets in three different strengths: 125 mg, 250 mg, and 500 mg. Take Famvir orally with or without food as prescribed by your doctor. The doses depend on the medical condition of the patients.
- The recommended dosage for recurrent herpes labialis: 1500 mg once a day
- The recommended dosage for the treatment of recurrent genital herpes: 1000 mg twice a day (1 day)
- The recommended dosage for herpes zoster: 500 mg every 8 hours (7 days)
This medication should be initiated at the first sign or symptom of the viral infection. Patients should not stop taking the medication without consulting their doctor.
Famvir may interact with other medications, increasing the risk for adverse reactions in the body. Before starting the treatment, tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, especially:
- Other medicines to treat herpes infection
- Do not take Famvir if you are allergic to Famciclovir or any other ingredients of the drug.
- Tell your doctor if you have had kidney or liver problems, galactose intolerance, a lactase deficiency, malabsorption, or other health conditions.
- Consult with your doctor about the safety of the medication if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- Herpes can transmit to your partner even if you are taking Famvir. Patients need to practice safer sex to reduce the risk of its transmission. Use a condom made of latex or polyurethane every time you have sex.
- The safety of Famvir has not been known against the first episode of genital herpes, ophthalmic zoster, and recurrent genital herpes in black and African American patients.
- Finish a full course of Famvir even if you start feeling better.
Is there a Generic Famvir available?
Yes, the generic equivalent to Famvir is Famciclovir.
Can I buy Famvir without prescription?
No, a valid prescription is required for this medication.
Is there any Famvir Coupon available?
Yes, You can save upto 80% on generic and brand Famvir using our prescription coupons.