Voltaren or Generic Diclofenac Uses, Dosage & Side effects
Voltaren is the trade name for medication, Diclofenac. It is a very potent non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used for treating mild to moderate intensities of pain, or signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis or osteoarthritis.
How does Voltaren work?
This painkiller exerts its action by decreasing the substances in the body that result in pain and inflammation.
Directions for use:
The suggested dosage of Voltaren tablet is 100 to 150 mg per day in divided doses via the oral route. Do not exceed more than the recommended dose as it would be harmful to your body.
In case of missed dose:
If you are taking this medication according to a normal schedule (not just as per requirement) and you accidentally miss out a dose, you are required to consume it the moment you remember. If it is approximately the time for your next dose, you may skip the missed dose and start again with your normal dosing timetable. Avoid doubling up of the dose in order to catch up the missed one.
Voltaren may sometimes result in serious bleeding from the stomach or intestines. This side effect might crop up without any warning. Elderly patients are more prone to this adverse effect. Other Voltaren side effects may include nausea, heartburn, headache, constipation, fatigue, dizziness, upset stomach, diarrhea, painful swallowing and change in the amount of urine.
Do not take Voltaren tablet concomitantly with the following mentioned medications:
• Other NSAID medicines such as Ketoprofen, Aspirin or Ibuprofen
• Drugs for high blood pressure- for example, ACE inhibitors or beta-blockers
• Antifungal medications such as Voriconazole
• Corticosteroids such as Prednisone
What are the safety measures to be implemented while taking Voltaren tablet?
• Avoid using Voltaren cream or taking Voltaren tablet just prior to or after undergoing coronary artery bypass graft or heart bypass surgery.
• Do not use Voltaren tablet in case you have growths in your nose (nasal polyps).
• This painkiller may make you feel sleepy or drowsy. Thus, avoid carrying out heavy physical activities like driving or operating any heavy machinery after taking Voltaren tablet, in order to avoid accidents.
• If you are a regular smoker and take liquor regularly, then this medication is not safe for you, thus you must limit your intake of alcohol and discontinue smoking.
• Avoid the use of Voltaren if you have a history of heart disorders, high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
• If you have an issue of any hepatic or renal disease, then also the use of this medicine is not recommended.
• If you are having any history of allergy to generic Diclofenac then one should not use the medication without doctor recommendation.
• Diclofenac can increase the fatal risk of stroke if you are having a drug for a long time period.
• Diclofenac may cause stomach bleeding, especially in older .
• One should not use the tablet in cluster headaches and never use the drug along other pain-relievers.
• One should not take the drug Diclofenac during the last 3 months of pregnancy as it may harm the fetus.
• Diclofenac can pass into breast milk, so the nursing mothers should not take the medication.