Esbriet, a brand-name version of Pirfenidone, is available by prescription in tablet and capsule form in different strengths. Esbriet is a medication used for the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. It works by reducing lung fibrosis through downregulation of the production of growth factors and procollagens I and II. You can save on brand name and generic Esbriet by filling prescriptions online at our Online Pharmacy.
Esbriet (Pirfenidone) 200mg
Esbriet (Pirfenidone) 267mg
Esbriet (Pirfenidone) 400mg
Esbriet (Pirfenidone) 600mg
Esbriet (Pirfenidone) 801mg
Why is Esbriet prescribed?
IPF is a terrible disease that causes scarring in the lung tissues. The scarred tissues gradually thicken over time, becoming stiff, which ultimately affects the respiratory capacity of our lungs. Diminished lung function causes breathing problems. It may affect our vital functions due to oxygen deprivation in the heart and brain. Though Esbriet does not completely cure IPF, the medicine slows down the progress of this disease, making it less life-threatening.
How should Esbriet medicine be used?
The suggested daily dosage of Esbriet is 2403 mg/day split into 3 doses of 801 mg each. Patients should take these oral pills with water at least three times a day, after meals. Your doctors may prescribe a different dose, based on your medical history, drug response and weight.
Ideally, one should start at a low dose and gradually increase one dose per week, until you are comfortable with having the standard dosage.
Taking it with food prevents nausea, dizziness, and other probable side-effects. Always take your pills at the same time every day.
What if I miss the dose of Esbriet?
You may take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Make sure that you maintain a standard time period of 8 hours between 2 consecutive doses. Do not take extra medicine or two doses close together to make up for the missed medicine. In case of a drug overdose, seek immediate medical attention at 911 or the Poison Helpline number 1-800-222-1222.
What are the side effects of Esbriet ?
The following side effects can be observed in the individuals who consume Esbriet:
- Weight loss
- Upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Cold symptoms (like sneezing, sore throat, runny nose)
- Increased sensitivity to the sunlight
- Abdominal pain, joint pain
- Sinus infection
- Infection in the upper respiratory tract
Other medicines like rifampin, phenytoin, and drugs that treat mental disorders can interfere with the functioning of Pirfenidone.
- Though Pirfenidone does not cause any potential harm to the fetus, it can penetrate the placenta and seep into breast milk. Avoid taking the drug if you are expecting or breastfeeding a child.
- Use a sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher when you head outdoors. The drug increases your sensitivity to the sunlight. Hence, you’re likely to get a sunburn.
- Do not take it with antibiotics.
- Avoid smoking. Nicotine produces violent drug reactions.
Is Generic available for Esbriet?
Yes, a generic version of Esbriet, Pirfenidone is available in multiple strengths.
Can I buy Esbriet without prescription?
No, a valid prescription is required for this medication.
Safety and storage?
- Always keep the medicine in the box
- Keep it tightly closed and out of reach of children and pets
- Store the medicine at room temperature away from excess heat and moisture
HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION: This is a summary and does NOT have all possible information about this product. This information does not assure that this product is safe, effective, or appropriate for you. This information is not individual medical advice and does not substitute for the advice of your health care professional. Always ask your health care professional for complete information about this product and your specific health needs.